…Very simple indeed. THINK ABOUT IT. As I’ve been rambling about in my past two entries is that “everything is energy” and with that being said I think its only appropriate if I elaborate more on my very true yet vague statement.
Chakras, you may or may not have heard of them before. Maybe you were in a yoga class and the teacher was saying “yessssss now open up the third eye chakra” and you were sitting there thinking “I have a third eye!? why don’t I see it, am I blind!!” Yes sounds like a fluffy fairy with purple doesn’t it? To those less informed – it will, it is alarming to discover you have a third eye when in all your life you were taught you had two! These principals are something new to many, and its society’s fault for not including metaphysical sciences as part of your curriculum!
Let us begin –
Chakra is a sanskrit (a historical Indo-Aryan language, the primary liturgical language of Hinduism and Buddism) word that translates to “wheel” or “turning”. Chakra is a concept referring to wheel-like spiral fluid motions which, according to traditional Indian medicine, are believed to exist in the surface of the etheric double of man.The Chakras are said to be “force centers” or whorls of energy permeating from a point on the physical body, the layers of the subtle bodies in an ever-increasing fan-shaped formation (the fans make the shape of a love heart). Rotating motions of subtle matter, they are considered the focal points for the reception and transmission of energies.Seven major chakras or energy centers (also understood as wheels of light) are located within the subtle body.
“Muladhara” (sanskrit) or “Root Chakra”.
This Chakra is the grounding force that allows us to connect to the earth energies and empower our beings. Focusing one’s attention on the color of a cherry popsicle or a juicy red apple can help bring our energetic body “down to earth” and in alignment with our physical body when we find ourselves energetically fleeting or in other words…..”spacing off.”
- Physical Location – base of the spine
- Purposes – kinesthetic feelings, movement
- Spiritual Lesson – material world lessons
- Physical Dysfunctions– lower back pain, sciatica, varicose veins, rectal tumors, depression, immune related disorders
- Mental and Emotional Issues – survival, self esteem, social order, security, family
- Information Stored Inside Root Chakra – familial beliefs, superstitions, loyalty, instincts, physical pleasure or pain, touch
- Area of Body Governed – spinal column, kidneys, legs, feet, rectum, immune system
“Swadhisthana” (sanskrit) or sacral Chakra
The Sacral Chakra is associated with the color orange or red-orange. I usually visualize the Sunkist orange that has been dyed to attract the produce buyer, or the orange red of an evening sunset. This chakra often offers us the opportunity to lessen our “control issues” and find a balance in our lives, teaching us to recognize that acceptance and rejection are not the only options in our relationships. The process of making changes in our life stream through our personal choices is a product of second chakra energy. A well-functioning second chakra helps one to maintain a healthy yin-yang existence.
- Physical Location – lower abdomen to the navel
- Purposes – emotional connection
- Spiritual Lesson – creativity, manifestation. honoring relationships, learning to “let go”
- Physical Dysfunctions– low back pain, sciatica, ob/gyn problems, pelvic pain, libido, urinary problems
- Mental and Emotional Issues – blame, guilt, money, sex, power, control, creativity, morality
- Information Stored Inside Sacral Chakra – duality, magnetism, controlling patterns, emotional feelings (joy, anger, fear)
- Area of Body Governed – sexual organs, stomach, upper intestines, liver, gallbladder, kidney, pancreas, adrenal glands, spleen, middle spine
“Manipura” (Sanskrit) or Solar Plexus Chakra
The Solar Plexus Chakra is associated with the color yellow. This is the area which defines our “self-esteem”. The personality that develops during puberty is housed in this chakra….otherwise known as the “EGO”. Anyone experiencing dysfunction of the third chakra is having difficulty obtaining or maintaining his/her own “personal power”. This intuitive chakra is where we get our “gut instincts” that signal us to do or not to do something. Strong self-esteem is a required for developing intuitive skills.
- Purposes – mental understanding of emotional life
- Spiritual Lesson – acceptance of your place in the life stream. (self-love)
- Physical Dysfunctions– stomach ulcers, intestinal tumors, diabetes, pancreatitis, indigestion, anorexia/bulimia, hepatitis, cirrhosis, adrenal imbalances, arthritis, colon diseases
- Mental and Emotional Issues – self esteem, fear of rejection, oversensitivity to criticism, self-image fears, fears of our secrets being found out, indecisiveness
- Information Stored Inside Sacral Chakra – personal power, personality, consciousness of self within the universe (sense of belonging), knowing
- Area of Body Governed – upper abdomen, umbilicus to rib cage, liver, gallbladder, middle spine, spleen, kidney, adrenals, small intestines, stomach
“Anahata” (sanskrit) or Heart Chakra
The Heart Chakra is associated with the color green or pink. This love center of our human energy system is often the focus in bringing about a healing. Thus, the words “Love Heals All” have great truth. Hurtful situations that can effect our emotional being are divorce or separation, grief through death, emotional abuse, abandonment, adultery. All of these are wounding to the heart chakra. Physical illnesses brought about by heartbreak require that an emotional healing occur along with the physical healing. Learning to love yourself is a powerful first step in securing a healthy fourth chakra. The “wounded child” resides in the heart chakra.
- Physical Location – center of chest
- Purposes – emotional empowerment
- Spiritual Lesson – forgiveness, unconditional love, letting go, trust, compassion
- Physical Disfunctions– heart conditions, asthma, lung & breast cancers, thoracic spine, pneumonia, upper back, shoulder problems
- Mental and Emotional Issues – love, compassion, confidence, inspiration, hope, despair, hate, envy, fear, jealousy, anger, generosity
- Information Stored Inside Heart Chakra – connections or “heart strings” to those whom we love
- Area of Body Governed – heart, circulatory system, blood, lungs, rib cage, diaphragm, thymus, breasts, esophagus, shoulders, arms, hands
“Visshudda” (Sanskrit) or Throat Chakra
he Throat Chakra is associated with the color sky blue. This chakra is our will center. The healthfulness of the fifth chakra is in relation to how honestly one expresses himself/herself. Lying violates the body and spirit . We speak our choices with our voices (throats). All choices we make in our lives have consequences on an energetic level. Even choosing not to make a choice such as in repressing our anger (not speaking out) may manifest into laryngitis. We have all experienced that “lump in our throats” when we are at a crossroad of not knowing how to speak the right words in any given situation, perhaps even stuffing our own emotions. A challenge of the throat chakra is to express ourselves in the most truthful manner. Also to receive and assimilate information. Seek only the truth.
- Physical Location – throat, neck region
- Purposes – learning to take responsibility for one’s own needs
- Spiritual Lesson – confession, surrender personal will over to divine will, faith, truthfulness over deceit
- Physical Dysfunctions– sore throat, mouth ulcers, scoliosis, swollen glands, thyroid dysfunctions, laryngitis, voice problems, gum or tooth problems, TMJ
- Mental and Emotional Issues – personal expression, creativity, addiction, criticism, faith, decision making (choices), will, lack of authority
- Information Stored Inside Throat Chakra – self-knowledge, truth, attitudes, hearing, taste, smell
- Area of Body Governed – throat, thyroid, trachea, neck vertebrae, mouth, teeth, gums, esophagus, parathyroid, hyperthalemus
“Ajna” (Sanskrit) or Third Eye/Brow Chakra
The Brow Chakra is associated with the color indigo. It is also often referred to as the “third eye” or the “mind center.” It is our avenue to wisdom – learning from our experiences and putting them in perspective. Our ability to separate reality from fantasy or delusions is in connection with the healthfulness of this chakra. Achieving the art of detachment beyond “small mindedness” is accomplished through developing impersonal intuitive reasoning. It is through an open brow chakra that visual images are received.
- Physical Location – center of the forehead
- Purposes – action of ideas, insight, mind development
- Spiritual Lesson – understanding, reality check point, detachment, open mind
- Physical Dysfunctions– brain tumors, strokes, blindness, deafness, seizures, learning disabilities, spinal dysfunctions, panic, depression
- Mental and Emotional Issues – fear of truth, discipline, judgement, evaluation, emotional intelligence, concept of reality, confusion
- Information Stored Inside Sacral Chakra – seeing clear picture (symbolic or literal), wisdom, intuition, mental facilities, intellect
- Area of Body Governed – brain, neurological system, eyes, ears, nose, pituitary, pineal glands
Sahasrara (Sanskrit) or Crown Chakra
The Crown Chakra is associated with the color violet or white. We use the seventh chakra as a tool to communicate with our spiritual nature. It is through this vortice that the life force is dispersed from the universe into the lower 6 chakras. It has been referred to as our “GOD SOURCE” – but this terminology might be confusing to anyone who equates God with religious dogma, because of this I choose to call it a spiritual connection or communicator. This chakra is often pictured as a lotus flower opening to allow spiritual awakening in an individual. The crown chakra could also be considered the well intuitive knowing is drawn from.
- Physical Location – top of head
- Purposes – intuitive knowing, connection to one’s spirituality, integration of the whole
- Spiritual Lesson – spirituality, living in the NOW
- Physical Disfunctions– mystical depression, diseases of the muscular system, skeletal system and the skin, chronic exhaustion not associated with physical ailments, sensitivity to light, sound, environment
- Mental and Emotional Issues – discovery of the divine, lack of purpose, loss of meaning or identity, trust, selflessness, humanitarianism, ability to see the bigger picture in the life stream, devotion, inspiration, values, ethics
- Information Stored Inside Crown Chakra – duality, magnetism, controlling patterns, emotional feelings (joy, anger, fear)
- Area of Body Governed – top center of the head, midline above the ears
So there you have it my enlightened people! Chakra knowledge in a nutshell. I hope you enjoyed this post, as I put my heart and soul into finding the best pictures and explanations of each. I’m hoping this adds another piece to the mystery of life for you all!
THINK ABOUT IT!!! (and listen to this track!)