Skim milk…DOESN’T do a body good!
According to a review of the published scientific literature, claims that low-fat dairy products or calcium can help people lose weight are untrue. Neither dairy products in general nor calcium intake promote weight loss: healthy weight comes from healthy eating habits.
Unfortunately, so many people believe processed low-fat pasteurized dairy is a part of a healthy diet! It is my strong belief that you should avoid all pasteurized dairy, and ideally only consume raw grass-fed organic dairy.
Raw milk from grass-fed cows is full of things that your body will thrive on: good bacteria, enzymes, raw fat, and cancer-fighting conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), among other things, pasteurized milk is known to cause all kinds of health troubles, from digestive upset to perhaps even autism and diabetes.
These ailments, and the even more common problem of lactose intolerance, is not due to milk being an inappropriate food for humans – after all, primitive societies have thrived on milk diets for quite some time — but rather, the processing of it has turned the milk into something your body can’t optimally use.
Before There Was Pasteurization, Milk was Medicine!
You don’t hear about this anymore, but in the early 1900’s milk was actually used as medicine. Dr. J.R. Crewe’s “Milk Cure” was used at the Mayo clinic to successfully treat:
- weight loss
- kidney disease
- skin problems
- urinary tract and prostate problems
- chronic fatigue, and a whole host of other chronic conditions
Naturally, the only milk available at the time was raw whole milk, rich in butterfat, from pasture fed cows.
- The butterfat in whole raw milk, particularly butterfat in milk from cows that graze freely on green pasture, contains unique nutrients that support thyroid function and help your body develop muscle rather than fat.
- Pasteurizing milk destroys beneficial bacteria along with the bad ones and destroys enzymes essential for nutrient absorption.
- Pasteurizing milk destroys all its phosphatase; this is essential for the absorption of calcium, and calcium works with Vitamin D, not only available through sunshine but is an essential nutrient in raw cream.
- Heating any raw food destroys the active enzymes, so lipase (an enzyme unique to milk and needed to complete digestion of fats) is blasted along with many other essential nutrients that pasteurization destroys.
- Pasteurization destroys 20 percent of the iodine present in raw milk
- Causes constipation
- Pasteurization of milk destroys about 38 percent of the B complex
What About Safety? Isn’t Pasteurized Milk “Cleaner”?
While many un-educated sources warn that raw milk can carry disease-causing bacteria, what they completely overlook is the fact that these bacteria are the result of industrial farming practices that lead to diseased animals, which may then in turn produce contaminated milk. You never want to get your raw milk from a feed-lot cow.
Drinking raw milk produced by grass-fed cows from clean, well-run farms, however, is far LESS dangerous than drinking pasteurized milk.
In fact, not only does raw milk contain good bacteria that are essential for a healthy digestive system, raw milk also offers protection against disease-causing bacteria!
When you look at the diets of indigenous cultures displaying robust health across the globe, regardless of whether their diet consists of mostly fruits, vegetables and dairy, or meats and fish, the common denominator is always that their diet is mainly eaten raw.
Stray too far from a raw, naturally-grown diet and you’re bound to encounter health complications. And pasteurized milk is definitely FAR from its original, nutrient-dense state.
So don’t waste your money on “organic” or conventionally produced milk anymore. This is a waste of your resources. Redirect your energy to find real raw milk sources.
If you want a more in-dept account of why pasteurization is not good for our health please read more HERE