1. On top of the list – Be realistic. Don’t try to lose weight during the holidays. Rather, focus on maintaining your current weight.
2. Start your day with a nutrient dense drink like a Medicinal Al Iksr. Flooding your body with dense nutrition, you’ll feel lighter and more energized. It may help you cut cravings for the extra calories you might consume later by making sure you get the nutrition you need.
You can also take the opportunity to dance at the holiday functions you may be attending (Or you can do like me and do it in your living room!). It is said that dancing keeps you young, so get your groove on and move your body.
4. Go Green, pass the salad please! Eat your vegetables first because it aids digestion and assimilation of those naughty meals, if you begin with living and enzymatic rich foods a.k.a raw veggies or lightly steamed veggies.
5. Butter tarts, sugar cookies, conventional chocolates, and sugar plums stuck to your waistline!? Sugar is especially in abundance during the holidays – why not get experimental with your treats and opt in to using diabetic safe sweeteners like calorie-free Stevia or coconut sugar? Your body will thank you when this indulgence season has passed.
6. Feelings of hunger are often an indication of thirst and a need for water rather than food. So drink plenty of good quality water. Also, my personal favorite tip is if you drink a glass of water 30 minutes before a meal, you will feel full faster and eat less during the meal.
7. Eat slowly, and savor those holiday treats! This gives your body a chance to feel satiated, and will make you less likely to over eat. What is the rush about anyways? Take time and enjoy.
8. Bring peppermint essential oil at meal times and do a few inhalations of it when you cannot stop yourself from addictive eating (when you are eating for pure pleasure even though you are already wearing your holiday fat pants and you’ve got the buttons AND zipper open….sexy).
Peppermint essential oil is known for its ability to aid digestion but also to curb appetite. The strongest and most effective essential on the market to date is doTerra’s Peppermint Oil.
9. Eat a salad before heading out to events. This will nourish your body and make it easier for you to pass up on over indulgence and the guilt that comes afterwards. If you do end up indulging, drink a fermented beverage afterwards (like kombucha) or take few Activated Charcoal capsules at bedtime.
10. Eat on a smaller sized plate. Since most people fill up whatever plate size they are given, choose a small plate instead and consume less. If you’ve been left with a larger plate, don’t feel guilty if you need to leave some extra food on your plate once you feel that you’ve had enough.
If you do end up overdoing it during the holidays, make a plan for how to get back on track and stick to it. Don’t wait until the holidays are over to get started. Now is the time to get started on your best self for 2014!
Marina Love is a Holistic Nutritionist, Herbalist,Raw chocolatier, and Entrepreneur coach for women. Marina is offering generous specials on nutritional consultations to get you started before 2014. E-mail Marina@Lovemovement.ca for your appointment!